Welcome!

January 1, 2011 is the first day of a new year, and the second year I will try to attempt to post a photo every day for the next 365 days. It didn't work out so well last year. But as a New Years resolution, I have decided to try the 365 Day Photography challenge again.

January 5, 2010

5/365: Train Tracks for Cars?

I read a posting on another blog where a guy, I guess a police officer, was saying that it was illegal to be anywhere around train tracks or take pictures of train tracks. He was talking about taking wedding pictures and how the bride-to-be could get a heel caught.

From@daquellamanera:
"The right to take photographs in the United States is being challenged more than ever. People are being stopped, harassed, and even intimidated into handing over their personal property simply because they were taking photographs of subjects that made other people uncomfortable. Recent examples have included photographing industrial plants, bridges, buildings, trains, and bus stations.
...there are not very many legal restrictions on what can be photographed when in public view. Most attempts at restricting photography are done by lower-level security and law enforcement officials acting way beyond their authority. Note that neither the Patriot Act nor the Homeland Security Act have any provisions that restrict photography."

I guess the use of trains tracks as a subject is still open for debate. I am drawn to train tracks because of childhood memoirs of my grandparents living across the street and beyond a parking lot from a railroad track. Also, from years living not too far from a busy train track and listening to the sounds of the trains at night when I couldn't sleep. These both are special memoirs for me.
As far as these pictures are concerned, I remember as a kid, this was a working line. Up until maybe 10 years ago, this line was busy. It doesn't appear to be a very safe thing to do. When I saw this I thought this was crazy but I guess if the people know for sure it is not in use, they will risk it. These cars were across the street from each other.

Different photograph books and magazines encourage the use of railroad tracks as subject. I guess the debate will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment